Sunday 8 June 2014

W/C 2nd June 2014 - Build

Monday 2nd June

Am- Long hilly ride


Usual route with race set up on bike. This included a disc so no power data for today's ride. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was a little disappointed that the average speed was only very slightly quicker than my last ride over the same course (without race wheel). It is fairly hilly course and there is a bit of stop start for the first and last 15-20ins so this could of course be a factor. Also noticed average HR was up a bit. Next time I do this route I'm going to swap out the disc for an 808 for comparison




















Pm- Run

Usual run after bike bit quicker than IM pace. HR bit higher than usual but nothing drastic.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/512529369

Tuesday 3rd June 

Am- 4.5k swim wetsuit lido 

Working days today so early swim was the plan. Struggled to get out the door due to tiredness from yesterday's sessions. After being pretty much pushed out the door by Katie I got to the lido and got the job done. Session focus was muscular endurance- medium repeats after a longer tempo effort. 

2k straight tempo effort 
6x400 off 6.30 (splits- 6.03/ 6.03/6.05/6.07/6.05/6.03/6.07)
100 EZ 

It's been a while since I've done a longer swim and I think this showed in 400 split times. I'd like to have seen all these at 6 Min's or just below. I think I probably could have hit that today but didn't want to bury myself. I wanted the 400's to be comfortably quick. 

Pm track 6x1600 90RI

My first time back at the track for some time. It was great to catch up with the Cambridge harrier group that I would usually train with on a Tuesday night. I decided to drop the track sessions once I hit specific IM training, the short sharp sessions didn't really fit. My last block of training will include one broken 10k threshold run per week and this was the first of those. The group was doing a set of 300's so I did my own session of mile repeats. Not super quick but did feel like there was plenty left in the tank after the last rep. entirely expected with the IM training focus. No garmin file but here's the splits... 5.31/5.30/5.32/5.33/5.36/5.31

Wednesday 4th June 

Pm- easy turbo

On days again today which worked out quite well as a lighter day was needed. . Calf's in particular a little sore after track last nigh. A relatively easy turbo was all that was on the agenda today. 10mins w/u 8 x 1min 330-340w 4mins easy spin ~200w 10minc/d. Seemed to do the job of freshening the legs up a little.

Thursday 5th June 


Pm- Threshold 200's deep water starts

Off to the lido late afternoon for a 3k swim. The main set was 10 x 200 each starting away from the wall so as to simulate deep water race start a little. I was coming in on 2.55 for each 200 and going off 3.10 so just enough rest to get a quick swig and set myself for the next rep. After the last 200 I jumped out ran a lap of the pool and stripped down wetsuit, again simulating a bit of race day. Jumped back in after this and did my c/d without the wetsuit.

Friday 6th June. 

Am- Hilly brick, 3hr hilly / 90mins ramp

Home from work after nights and straight out on the bike fantastic sunny day which would later take it's toll on me. Familiar hill route with about 1100m of ascent. Felt a little flat for much of the ride, legs tired. HR and power numbers OK but just not really feeling it on bike today. Here's the ride on garmin connect http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515317220
Sunny selfie

Run- 

Things were really starting to warm up and it was probably the hottest part of the day as I headed out for my run within 10mins of finishing the ride. The plan was 90 Min's ramp run (3 x 30 Min's) by HR. Running off the bike by HR is always tricky and my first 30 Min's I struggled to keep HR in 140's despite feeling very comfortable. I took a gel and small amount of water at half way but this was nowhere near enough to hydrate me well enough for the last 30 Min's at 'tempo' (HR 160's). I got through it but ended up being about 1k short for total distance I usually cover for this run. I was in a bad way immediately after perhaps a very mild heat stroke, feverish and shaky. Here's garmin file… http://connect.garmin.com/activity/515319902

Shortly after I had to take Annie to her swimming lesson and a very easy swim to cool down followed by a coke seemed to sort me out so no lasting effects. 

I've always known I don't cope particularly well in the heat being a larger athlete. Maybe I haven't thought this Kona quest thing through properly! 

Saturday 7th June 

I had planned on a swim today but prioritised some family time as I won't see the girls tomorrow. Big day planned and they're off visiting family.

Sunday 8th June 

This was my second 'big day' of training. Swim was a 3.8k TT in the lido which was packed because the sun was out- cue the breaststrokes in the fast line :-/ Despite a bit of weaving and a couple of heated exchanges i completed the distance in 56:06. ~30 seconds quicker than last attempt. So providing I can swim in a straight line and not have one of my 'episodes' I should be on for a PB and solid swim come race day.

Bike- Hilly and hot 4hrs with race kit and nutrition I plan to use on race day. Reasonable ride spoilt a little by a puncture after 90 Min's. Felt comfortable and I made a conscious effort to not exceed FTP on climbs (where possible) Annoyingly I forgot HR strap before leaving so I couldn't see how hard or easy I was actually working. here's the ride- http://connect.garmin.com/activity/516536676

Run- I wasn't looking forward to another hot long run (2 hour) . I made sure to have plenty of water on hand which meant carrying a 500ml water bottle, annoying but rather that than getting into the kind of state I was in on Friday. Someone forgot to put the garmin on charge after they last used it, so the first half of the run was done on feel while I got some juice in my watch. Quick stop after an hour to pick up garmin and a couple of gels and I was back on my way. It didn't go as well as my last run but was a little hillier. I finished a little short on the time with 26k and an average pace of 4:23. Only other small concern was a bit of a 'dodgy' tummy at the end of the run.





No comments:

Post a Comment